Thread: E3 2011
View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2011-06-07, 15:31

I like the Wii U, at least, initially, I think it is a strong concept, it is a little awkward in terms of its relationship to the Wii, where it partially seems like just an add-on, but it is in fact a completely new system that is Wii compatible. I like the idea of playing hot-seat 4/5 player games where one player has the Screenmote and everyone else has wiimotes/nunchuks. I think there is a lot of potential there for really fun co-operative and competitive gaming, hybridizing the fun of a LAN party and a regular video game party.

I'm amazed that people are still so adamant about specs. If the time period between 2006 and 2011 hasn't convinced you that specs don't make the device, you're a lost cause. We've just seen too many examples of not only incredibly successful, but very fun, innovative, useful...etc. tech toys that deemphasis specs. But even more incredible is how people are so angry about specs when really, outside of being HD, we really don't know anything about them at this point.

Looks like it could be a neat system with a lot of potential for convenient multipurpose use.

The last thing that comes to mind is that everyone thought the DS was kind of a dumb idea when it was first revealed, how could you focus on two screens at once sort of thing. The DS ended up being one of the best gaming systems ever made. The Wii U, I think, is essentially the 'desktop' version of the DS. Having two screens is already a proven interface method, and while it is a bit different spread across a living room, I don't imagine it would be dramatically so.

Should be good.