View Single Post
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-11-23, 13:10

3D printing is about the only space in the computer world (IMO) where power still matters, and I don't think users will balk at spending $2k to $3k on a system.

To make something that might actually herald in the era of 3D printing, it would need to combine a few features.

1. It would have to work out of the box.

2. You would need easy to use software for 3D rendering. There are many software packages out there, but having one that worked well and designed to work directly with the printer hardware would be a big advantage. Apple is capable of doing that.

3. Software/printers have existed for a few years now that can actually print articulated joints. That would be huge. Imagine how awesome it would be to *make* your own action figures.

4. In line with this, make a 3D shop/iTunes spin off. Allow people to upload their designs. Pay $1 to download and print your own. This would incentivize users to make some cool stuff and share. (let the pricing be optional, or have tiers, something)

5. I don't think the 3D printer stuff really comes into play until you also have a 3D scanner so you could scan and object, have that scan imported into your software and then tweak from there.

3D printing is still hovering around the edges of the public perception. People know it's around, they kind of know what it can do, but the mental overhead involved to get yourself started is prohibitive to the bulk of the public.

Apple has the hardware/software chops to take this project on, and they're just floundering in the desktop space anyway. I think they could be much better positioned if they went *back* to the idea of building an entire widget that worked great together, and today, the widget in the most need of that treatment is 3D printing.

Printers have come down in price though, and the quality is improving every year. Apple is large enough, and has enough engineers I believe they could come up with a working system for under $3k.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me