Thread: Word 98
View Single Post
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-03-02, 10:59

Sounds to me you want a lightweight word processing?

Doesn't Textedit meet the criteria? There's also AppleWorks, OpenOffice and/or Mellel (I can't spell the last one), as well. They have most, if not all, features that Word 95/97 had and they're up to date. Running any of those would be much more effective and faster than running Word 95 in virtual machine via Parallels.

Your objection that latest version takes too much HD space is bit odd. Bondi iMac had 4 GB HD. 20 MB install would represent only 0.005% of entire 4 GB HD. Very very very trivial. And if you're that pressed for space, that's where external HD or other storage media comes in picture. I do understand that you feel that you shouldn't be burdened with unwanted features and they could have at least made it an optional install, though I suspect doing so would mean more work for developing and support and they decided because space on HD is so plentiful, a wasted MB or two isn't going to stop anyone from downloading their latest music tracks. And it hasn't.

Your objection about RAM is understandable, though. You only need to look at other programs, as menioned above since using Word in any circumstance, however you manage it, will cost more resource than running one of those apps.

I hope I'm mistaken, but I'm under the impression that you are a victim of your own old habits and prejudices.

Last edited by Banana : 2007-03-02 at 11:10.