View Single Post
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-02-06, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
No, it's not like that at all. It's more like being in debt $13,478, losing your job, and spending $2391 on a job search so you can start making money again to eventually pay off your debt. Your solution would be to sit home on the couch, and hope a job falls in your lap.
I don't agree with that. For one, it's government basically dictating what we are to do with money (e.g. take the money via taxation and say it has to be spent on X) as opposed to allowing business owners and capitalists figure out what is the best investment and let them win or lose. Kind like having someone bullying me from farming my own tomatoes into holding a flag for a road construction project that nobody wanted.

Economy is a gigantic beast and to think we can fix it with one big package is kind of presumptuous. It is best fixed by several independent, unrelated and localized actions by people who are in better position to determine what is better use of their money (I'd have more faith in a construction company spending money to build a new building in a rundown district in a certain city because the owner knows the area and how it is growing than in a bunch of suits trying to fix the nation). Thus, the do-nothing approach would be merely at federal level, exactly the level where they do the most harm.

Furthermore, stimulus has potential to send wrong signals to economy by making it look like there's more investment in so and so sectors due to government's infusion and creating even more malinvestment which at the end of day, will have to be corrected.