View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2009-08-31, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Hmm? What's this?

Intel is planning on launching new processors on September 8? Interesting.

Apple's launched an iMac at their fall iPod event before (2005), and I could see them doing it again, especially if the new iMacs had some media-related features, like that newfangled "Blu-ray" apparatus I keep on hearing about. (The 2005 iMacs introduced the Apple Remote and Front Row.)

It appears to be mainly desktop processors on the slate, which have too high a GDP to appear in any of Apple's desktops (save the Mac Pro workstation). But according to Wikipedia, the first batch of mobile Nehalems (the Core i7) should be coming in late September, as well. The mobile Core i7 (Clarksfield, to its friends) would still run too hot in a MacBook but it matches the TDP of processors Apple's used in the iMac before...hmm...
Apple won't intro a brand new iMac line alongside brand new iPods. Mixed media messaging.

The 2005 iMac launch was applicable because there were tools to transfer media from iMac to iPod.
Apple's not going out on such a limb to promote Blu-Ray.

Makes me think we could see a silent update to the Mac Pro as early as tomorrow.
Even though the chips will debut on 9/9/09, it's likely that Apple got theirs early.