View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-09-21, 13:05

Who wants to lay odds on this one? I am betting Apple shoots for 10-2/3 or 10-9/10. With iMacs pretty much gone, that would suggest a "processor bump" is not happening. There have also been rumors of new 13" Retinas and 8" iPads. Plenty of rumor mills have speculated as to an early October event, and it sure is looking possible.

I am guessing Apple is going with the following at said "event":

iMac

The iMac should be a given. It is OOS everywhere, and shipping times have slipped. I am guessing at a brand new form factor. Slimmer (needless, but coming anyway) sans optical drive (argument elsewhere, please); Firewire 800; Thunderbolt; USB 3.0; Ethernet; Sandy Bridge; newer screen tech, but no Retina (although I maintain the possibility of a high-end 27" with Retina in the $2500-$3000 range). Also, possibility of better SSD options and built-in flash storage. Price range is $1199-$3000.

13" Next Generation MacBook Pro with Retina display

Specs should be obvious. 128GB at the low-end, with 256 and 512 options. Not sure they would offer a 768. 4GB RAM at the low-end, with 8 and 16GB options. No optical (obvious); thunderbolt x 1, HDMI and a pair of USB 3.0. Price range would run $1499-$2499.

8" iPad

Still not sure about this rumor, but it makes sense for Apple to jump in. If they can get an iPad into the $249-$299 price range, they will clean up all the bottom feeders in one swoop. I kind of expect this to happen. If the 8"iPad uses the same resolution as the current iPad 2, then there will be a treasure trove of Apps available with no extra work from the App developers (well, almost none ). I've thought about the whole iPod Touch pricing and form factor, but I no longer this this would be a problem, as the iPod would still be the only option that would fit in your pocket.

Discuss with politeness and love!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)