View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-10-31, 20:17

As a thank-you for some vacation advice (which I actually got here, years ago—the Aqua Dome in the Oetztal Valley, Austria), a coworker gave me a bottle of High West's "A Mid-Winter Night's Dram", one of their limited-release editions. Very good though not all that rye-like, if you're used to bottles like Rittenhouse or Bulleit, thanks to being aged in wine barrels.

Unrelated, but tonight I wanted to make a drink at home and despite having 18 bottles in my liquor cabinet, didn't have anything cohesive (I'm out of sweet vermouth and gin but somehow have calvados and Lillet Rouge). No sweet vermouth ruled out a Manhattan, but I had a bottle of Cocchi Americano, which can stand in for dry vermouth though it's more bitter, so I took the recipe for a Brooklyn—a Manhattan with dry vermouth—subbed the rye for brandy, the vermouth for Cocchi, the maraschino liqueur for orange liqueur and threw in a few dashes of orange bitters, plus an orange twist on top.

Not sure I'm in *love* with it but I'm pleasantly surprised. I think it may have been better with Angostura.

(What I really wanted was a Corpse Reviver #2 but I don't have gin or absinthe at home right now)

Last edited by Ryan : 2016-10-31 at 20:29.