View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-17, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I’d love to try it but it just wouldn’t be worth the fuel having me go throw up.
FTFY

My dad took my brother and I on a training flight when we were in high school. He was getting typed on a Beech twin engine, doing his IFR certification stuff. We flew out over the desert way south of Boise and were doing all these crazy maneuvers. In one instance, the instructor had my dad remove his hands and feet from the controls, lower his head (while wearing an IFR training hood) and close his eyes. The instructor put the plane into this crazy high AOA bank and then said "your aircraft". Dad had to take the controls (wearing the hood prevents you from seeing outside) and sort out the plane's attitude using instruments only. There he is, stabbing around and getting his bearings and suddenly—I mean Flash Gordon-esque—the instructor reaches down and throws the left throttle all the way to idle, which caused the plane to slip into this weird nose-high flat slide thing and the G-forces were nuts! By far the most I've ever experienced, probably something like 4 or 5. The biggest memory I had was when my eyeglasses got sucked off my face by the high G-force. Made my stomach crawl, but my brother and I were in the back seat laughing and carrying on and pretending to be fighter pilots. One of the best experiences of my life.

Fortunately, it takes quite a bit to get me motion sick. Rapid spinning will do it, but not the whacky stuff from driving, flying, being on the ocean, that sort of thing. Unless it's really gnarly, I don't get sick. However, the G's would knock me flat. Seriously, you have to be trained and in shape to cope with that stuff. I got out of that training flight with my dad and felt like I'd run a marathon!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-12-17 at 19:37.