View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-18, 10:25

That’s neat. It’s a nice blend of nostalgia + new, at least how it’s presented in the trailer.

Makes me wonder how/why the original cast members show up. I could imagine the actual three remaining Ghostbusters (their friend and colleague’s farm, his grandchildren in peril, etc.). But Weaver and Potts? Unless they're married to one (or still working for the busters), there may be a scene set in NYC with them? I suppose the easy, expected answer is just when things are at their worst and the kids realize they’re no match for the supernatural forces in their small town, Aykroyd, Murray and Hudson kick open the door, all suited up and the Ray Parker theme kicks in? I’d like to think it’s not that pat and predictable, but that’s probably an uphill bet.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Man, tally up all the 80’s-originated sequels, reboots, remakes, etc. that have hit in just the past few years (including trailers for stuff coming in 2020)...quite a few! Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Terminator, Rambo, Alien, Top Gun, RoboCop, Halloween, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Bill and Ted and I’m sure I’m missing another dozen or so, easily. And if you want to get picky, you could add Superman and Batman as well (although their only real accomplishment was just making you realize how much you miss Christopher Reeve and Michael Keaton)? And there are rumors of Beetlejuice and Splash remakes.

EDIT: And if you want to venture into the TV realm, you've got Roseanne, Murphy Brown, Full House, The Equalizer, 21 Jump Street and Lethal Weapon (a TV show based on an 80's movie). And, again, I'm sure there are more that I'm just not aware of or can't recall. I suppose the obvious reason/answer for all this is that all those who were kids or teens in the 80's are now in that 40-60 range, and heading up various studios, production companies, etc. and are just looking back to their youth and the things they enjoyed, and green-lighting all these revivals. Although it's really hard to believe there's a strong, groundswell of folks clamoring to see Roseanne Barr (ugh) or Candice Bergen (ugh x2) on their TV screens again. Hell, "B.J. and the Bear" probably would've had a better go of it (never underestimate the allure/appeal of a monkey in an 18-wheeler).

With the whole “80’s kids on bikes having adventures” fad, I’m really surprised nobody’s announced a “Goonies” remake/sequel/reboot! I actually never saw it, but all my friends rave about it. And did vampires finally run their course because it seemed revisiting The Lost Boys would’ve been a no-brainer (in both senses of the phrase). Granted, the one Corey is dead and the other one is an insufferable twerp (who seems to think he’s Michael Jackson’s secret white stepbrother), but those characters wouldn’t have to be involved if they just wanted to focus on vampires in that same little town some more.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-18 at 11:31.