View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-10, 16:34

From Joe Rogan podcast #1439; Michael Osterholm

Disclaimer: They talk about more than just COVID-19

Quote:
Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. Look for his book "Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Deadly Germs" for more info.
Excellent interview. Especially enlightening is Dr. Osterholm's prediction that the impact on Chinese-controlled supply chains will be more devastating than COVID-19 itself, especially as regards the fact that China and India are the [almost] sole suppliers of far too many of the world's necessary medical supplies and equipment.

I find his position on closing schools especially intriguing. 1) Children are far less susceptible to illness related to the virus (although they can spread it); and 2) More importantly, closing schools results in fewer health care workers available because they have to stay home with their children, which results in less workers available to staff hospitals.

Edit: It gets really crazy why this guy predicts that these types of diseases will continue to originate in China. I won't give it away, but I'll give you a hint: Enjoy your ferret sandwich!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-03-10 at 17:42.