View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-01, 13:27

So here is a question: What is your body fat doing and are you measuring it?

What I've noticed for myself is that my fat % is dropping while my weight plateaus at times. Currently I'm in the mid-170s which is amazing. However, my weight is inching up while my muscle weight is going up and my body fat is going down.

Remember that video you linked to where he talked about intermittent fasting? It worked well for me and Mrs T. We did two weeks of M/W/F 500 calorie days and we burned more fat the steady decline we had at 1700 calories. We are back to just 1700 calories for me and I forgot what hers is, 1200 I think (she's smaller than me).

I also figured out that I have to limit my food to 1700 no matter how much Lose It says I have available to consume. If I had a major workout day it would give me bonus calories and I would spend them. I have to pay attention to the actual consumption and not "available" to keep on track.

Other than my weight going down and body fat I can now see veins in my upper arms! There is a distinct difference between my biceps and deltoid! This new look has me realizing I'm not really after a goal weight like I thought I was, I'm after body fat %.

I thought I wanted to weight 165. Really though, I want to be around the 10-15% body fat line. I thought it was 10% until I realized that is way more cut than I want to be. This Men's Health article kinda shows me where I really want to be.
Quote:
According to the American Council on Exercise, the average for a guy is 18% to 24% body fat; 15% to 17% body fat puts you in the fitness category, while 6% to 13% body fat is athlete status.
I just hit 23% today so it isn't surprising (in light of the article) that I can finally see a different in my upper arms. Looking at their sample images, I'm more wanting to be like the 9-13% guy. This means my weight is going to be more dependent on my muscle mass than fat mass at that point. So I'm going to be less focused on weight and more on body fat going forward I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I was doing a Peloton competition with my bourbon club for the month of February and I ended up dropping 13.4lbs weighing in at 193.8lbs. My lowest weight in over 20 years. I managed to ride 541.43 miles and 1565 minutes on the bike for the month.
Dude! You are killing it! Keep it up!

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.