View Single Post
chung123

2004-09-08, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
he now has 512 mb of ram and a new superdrive....

what he wants to do is take video from his europe trip with his students and make them into movies and give the kids dvds of it

what are the next steps?? and how do do cheaply, yet still have iMovie and iDVD work at least somewhat....

g
Here is a thought...

I used to edit a whole load of movies on a G3 iMac DV/400 mhz. running iMovie 2 in OS 9.1

iMovie 2 was stable, fast and worked great...and you could do it with 128 megs of total ram.

iMovie 3 is a stinker and basically made my iMac DV "useless".... I'm still convinced Apple did it to sell faster Macs.

If your friend can deal with doing a dual boot...

You should have him edit his videos in iMovie 2 in OS 9.1 (with just a minimum set of extensions) and export a full quality DV file. With that set up...iMovie 2 should FLY.

Boot into OS X and then run iDVD 2 and he will be happy as a clam.

This would be what I would do--as it seems he has all the goodies to edit all his home movies and produce DVD's.

Yeah, yeah...iMovie3/4 introduced all this "integration" between the iApps...but you can do practically EVERYTHING with iMovie 2 without the overhead and the spinning beachball of death(I now have an 800mhz eMac and iMovie 4.5 is STILL a bit pokey).

I think your friend has spent enought money already!

Last edited by chung123 : 2004-09-08 at 19:14.