Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-09, 18:38

One thing you can do with it is listen to music without an iPhone. So it must have at the very least a fair bit of local storage and Bluetooth A2DP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
And most of those sales will be to men. Can't see a lot of women considering this device. It's still a pretty big device with features that aren't must have.
Perhaps it will sell more to men – the jury’s out on market acceptance here (by the way, it’s great to see Apple taking a big risk like this) – but you shouldn’t pretend to know what women want. For a start, they don’t all want the same thing. For example, several women I know wear larger watches than I do. And all but one of my girlfriend’s watches are larger than mine.

Second, I think it already does many things that will become must-have features to people who get used to them (a bit like Touch ID on the iPhone 5S). But the better question is not whether it has a must-have feature, but will anyone want one? And my gut instinct says it will appeal to many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think it's absolutely beautiful. It doesn't feel like they just took their iPhone design language — chamfered edges, Helvetica and whitespace, &c. — and just shoved it on a watch. It looks like something really and truly new from Apple
I agree completely. It feels new and important. And scroll down this page. It feels a million miles from the stack-’em-high and sell-’em-cheap world of plastic electronics. It feels like significant design and desirable materials. It’s exciting to see Apple doing this, and that’s before you even consider the technology and usability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Pogue says Apple told him water resistant, not waterproof.
I doubt that means anything. Nothing is truly waterproof. Watches are water resistant to a specified depth (i.e. pressure), and you can bet your last dollar the Apple Watch will be waterproof in any practical non-scuba-diving sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
That's so funny, because as soon as I saw the word WATCH in bold on the screen behind Tim, I said to myself, "Well that's not right. wtf is up with that C?"
Fonts all look the same to me in caps. But I could tell the lowercase letters were pretty big, presumably to improve legibility at small sizes.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.