View Single Post
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-04-11, 00:14

I hate those John "Cougar" (I insist on keeping it) Mellencamp Chevy commercials too, at least the first one with images of Rosa Parks, MLK, the LA brush fires, the Katrina aftermath, and Ground Zero. Actually, no, I'll let the Katrina thing slide because they tried to contextualize it with a Chevy truck looking like it was helping in some way. It's one thing to show cornfields, firefighters and old family reels. It's VERY inappropriate to try to equate those people and events with a fucking truck in most cases. It doesn't so much elevate the brand as make it look like an inane plea in comparison.

Oh, and as far as "buying American", consider that the Nissan Titan and the Toyota Tundra are built in the USA. They also have other models made here, corporate offices, design groups, parts manufacturing, even executives here. Practically the only thing that differentiates GM, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler etc. at this point is what country they started in. Yes, I'm exaggerating, but are you buying a Chevy because its CFO was born here? Because Joe Blue collar isn't working just for GM and Ford anymore. Those clinging to arguments about buying a Ford or Chevy because it's made domestically are making an emotional argument.

At the same time, the quality problems GM and Ford are usually plagued with in terms of their passenger cars do not apply with their trucks. They actually make very good quality trucks, while Toyota, and to a larger degree Nissan have a lot of issues with their truck models. (I don't know about others.) That's why Ford continues to try to push out gas guzzlers -- it's the only thing they know how to do well!