View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-11-11, 13:40

The thing about Laphroaig is that it's so peaty, if you drink it neat, I find it actually coveres up the alcohol burn in grainier whiskies.

Along the lines of Trader Joes branded Macallan. Costco is doing the same thing and selling 15/16/17/18yr bottlings of scotch originally distilled by Macallan. The difference is they transfer the spirit from oak to sherry casks late in the "sleep" period to impart some extra fruitiness/sweetness and less of that "Fine Oak" taste you'd expect. The 15yr is around $50. The 18yr is impossible to find, but it's usually priced $80-90. The sherry finish makes them excellent for beginners I think.

Not for beginners. I was recently given a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, which is pretty much a blend of Diageo's 4 most distinctive single malts. The only way to describe it is flavor explosion. It's like, "Here have some peat! Now some fruit, a lot of fruit! MORE FRUIT! And now a spicy kick to finish...then nothing." I'll definitely be cutting my drams with a teaspoon of water or maybe even an ice cube for a while.