View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-31, 20:38

I've heard about/seen promos for Yellowstone for a couple of years now. They're running a marathon of it on Paramount (formerly Spike, I believe?) and I've been watching for a few hours on this holiday afternoon/evening, giving it an honest shot. Just looking for something new, different to watch.

Holy smokes, what a shitty show.

They're trying so hard to do that whole grim, hard-bitten men's men (a la Sons of Anarchy, which was the stupidest show I believe I've ever seen in my entire 52 years on the planet), and it's even more ridiculous dressed up in ranch wear. What a bunch of morose, stare-at-the-ground-and-say-grim-stuff cardboard cut-outs.

I've watched five episodes now and they're getting worse. I think Kevin Costner is asleep during filming and they CGI in open eyes in post. And all these young punks all over the place. Do any of these people actually work?

They managed to take all the worst aspects of CSI: Miami, Sons of Anarchy and nighttime-soap-of-your-choice (Dynasty, Melrose Place, etc.), roll it all together and "hey, it's a show about assholes in cowboy hats...enjoy!"

Uh, no.

I did see Wilford Brimley skulking about (being all Wilford Brimley about everything), so that was kinda cool. That and the scenery/cinematography (teleography?) are the only things this ridiculous, overwrought hunk of shit seems to have going for it. Nobody to root for, nobody is likable, everyone creates their own misery/drama by doing stupid, pointless things. I can't hang with shows like that. There has to be somebody in the mix that I don't want to see blown up or run over by a tank.

And I typically dig Kevin Costner in laconic, sourpuss-in-a-cowboy-hat mode (Open Range is one of my favorite movies ever), but this shit is absolutely unwatchable.