View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-05, 08:22

Off-course Corellian freighters and Imperial scout ships. Nothing to see here.

I honestly don't know what to think anymore.

I simply don't believe that this one planet is the only one in the universe that has life. Whether the others have intelligent life that can build stuff and travel to other places, I don't know. Just because alien life may exist elsewhere, it doesn't necessarily mean they're "advanced" or whatever. It could be a planet of dumbass slugs. We may very well be the advanced, got-it-all-figured-out species (yikes).

So while I do believe life, in some form, absolutely has to exist elsewhere (why wouldn't it?), I don't know what form it takes or how intelligent/advanced it is. Might just be spores, tadpoles or weird little trees/bushes?

But I do know this: when I look at how people are about toilet paper and gasoline, the second the least little thing goes sideways, if there is intelligent life out there - and we've been in contact with it, or if it presents any sort of iffy threat or "we're not too sure about these guys" element - the government is NEVER going to confirm or cop to that. Humans, being what we are, would absolutely lose our collective shit and proceed to eat each other and destroy society as we know it.

You know this.

People are completely unreasonable, drama-driven and spaz-ready over silly-ass TV shows, slow Internet and their sports teams losing. How do you think they, as a whole, will react to news that a) we're not alone, and/or b) that other species may not be of the friendly, cute E.T./Close Encounters of the Third Kind variety?

Sadly, such a revelation might be the one true thing that united everyone and made people - regardless of race, religion, politics, etc. - set aside all their petty, tired horseshit and realize "okay, we need to stop fighting each other over stupid stuff and look outward for once". You know, before we all got Death Starred to smithereens (or enslaved by 9-foot intergalactic lizard warlords).

I truly hope, in my lifetime (and, at 52, I'm now on the backside/downslope, so I probably don't have another 52 years to wait), I see undeniable evidence of life elsewhere. And if it was an advanced, intelligent race that had the ability to make its way here - and come in peace and not be brutal, conquering assholes - I think that would be the most incredible thing ever. I'd love to see such a thing before I die. But I also know it would change everything - and trigger a gigantic, worldwide freakout session (see above) - so, ideally, I'd see such a thing and then peacefully keel over from old age about seven minutes later, so I wouldn't have to be around for any of the fallout.

I'd be okay with that.

As for all this flurry of activity/news lately, who knows. I, too, kinda think its top secret military testing and stuff. And it may be from other countries when it seems to surprise/confuse our forces? There's no telling what they've got in the works (governments and military, both in the U.S. and elsewhere). It wasn't that long ago that seeing a black, triangle/wedge flying in the sky would've triggered a bunch of activity and speculation. Now it's just a military plane we all recognize and enjoy seeing at airshows.

Part of me just thinks that if intelligent, advanced life was out there and capable of traveling here (in a way that we're not able to travel beyond our own moon), then it surely would've happened by now in an undeniable way. Having "sightings" constantly relegated to the supermarket tabloids and dipshit shows on Discovery and TRVL channel simply isn't enough for me. Something - or a fleet of somethings - needs to hover over Miami Beach or Berlin or wherever, and for everyone to see it. Right now it's just all Bigfoot-level speculation and hysteria, IMO.

What are they waiting on, if they're out there? Why do only redneck fishermen and flaky moonbat types ever seem to "encounter" anything? And conveniently never have a functioning camera?

That's the thing too: we're squarely in the era of everything - cafeteria fistfights, bad wedding dances, car crashes, ISIS beheadings, cats playing piano, wacky marriage proposals, meteorites, social media "challenges", etc. - being captured on video via the bazillions of smartphones, street cameras and doorbell video out there. Would there not be, by now, tons and tons of undeniable, irrefutable "OMG, they exist!" video evidence from all over the world? A few lights in the night sky over Arizona, filmed with a potato operated by Michael J. Fox*, hasn't convinced me of much.

*No slam whatsoever on Mr. Fox or anyone suffering his horrible disease, but nobody seems to know how to hold/operate a camera steady when filming any of these things (UFOs, hairy creatures, lake monsters, etc.). Until they do, I take all this shaky, blurry and 24dpi "evidence" about as seriously as I take Dancing with the Stars.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-06-05 at 08:55.