View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-22, 15:15

** Caution: Rant ahead **

Well, poop!

So, when I first started doing this I told myself there's no way I'll join a gym. Too many show-offs, ego-lifters, and do-gooders looking down their noses at you. Then, I joined a gym because I wanted access to equipment I needed but couldn't afford. All was going well, with no negative interactions with people.

So, I'm working on the incline bench doing reverse-loaded crunches (50 pounds carried on the way down, you strain against the weight and try to lower yourself gently to the bench, which makes your abs feel like they're in a paper shredder). Anyway, it's not a common exercise, because most people show up and do the same things over and over and over and … bench press, biceps curls, bench press, biceps curls.

So, this lady and her giant boyfriend are next to me on the back-lift bench and I hear him whisper, "look at this guy. What an idiot." Or something to that effect. And she says, "Yeah, I know," and then something unintelligible. They clearly have no idea what I'm doing, but being "experts" have decided that I'm doing it wrong.

I see people every day who are doing their exercises wrong, or ego-lifting, or straining themselves to look good for whoever, but I say nothing. To each their own. That's how I work at the gym. I do my thing, you do yours.

But!

It did make me want to work harder, so I've decided to start my cut now instead of waiting for August. That means it's back to suffering for the next 6-8 weeks while I try to burn off the last useless 10 to 15 pounds of body fat I'm carrying around. Meanwhile, the giant boyfriend still needs to drop 30 pounds.

So, moral of the story: Mock me if you want, because that's just gonna make me press harder.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)