View Single Post
Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-11-18, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
In the meantime, though, why not fight back in another way by hitting Google where it hurts? I know that others, notably Microsoft, have tried and largely failed and I know that Jobs also publicly indicated that developing a rival search engine was not something he was interested in doing. Nevertheless, I actually don't care all that much for Google and can contemplate better ways a search engine could work. Who better than Apple than to make it 'Work Different' and work better?
[...]
I think that Apple should go for it. Any thoughts?
The only feature I wish Google had is specifying a topic. For instance, I've been thinking about building a set of speakers, just for the fun of it. All else being equal (and that part is important), and coaxial speaker -- with the tweeter mounted in the middle of the woofer -- will sound better than a component speaker. That got me wondering if anybody made a 3-way coaxial speaker, and it turns out that there are tons of them... for car audio (and despite the manufacturers' claims, they're not coaxial either). Other than tacking on "-car -auto -automobile -vehicle -mobile -<car audio company names>" to the end of my searches, there's no way to tell Google that I'm not interested in car audio. But by the time you've added enough "-<whatever>" tags to get rid of the results you don't want, you've painted such a broad "no-go" brush that you get rid of the stuff you do want as well. If Google understood the concept "only search in pro or high-end audio", my life would've been much simpler.

(In retrospect, this might not have been the best example... It turns out that nobody makes 3-way coaxial speakers, so there wouldn't have been any results anyway, but I'm about to be late for work and I think this still gets my point across.)

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.