View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-11-18, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The only feature I wish Google had is specifying a topic. For instance, I've been thinking about building a set of speakers, just for the fun of it. All else being equal (and that part is important), and coaxial speaker -- with the tweeter mounted in the middle of the woofer -- will sound better than a component speaker. That got me wondering if anybody made a 3-way coaxial speaker, and it turns out that there are tons of them... for car audio (and despite the manufacturers' claims, they're not coaxial either). Other than tacking on "-car -auto -automobile -vehicle -mobile -<car audio company names>" to the end of my searches, there's no way to tell Google that I'm not interested in car audio. But by the time you've added enough "-<whatever>" tags to get rid of the results you don't want, you've painted such a broad "no-go" brush that you get rid of the stuff you do want as well. If Google understood the concept "only search in pro or high-end audio", my life would've been much simpler.

(In retrospect, this might not have been the best example... It turns out that nobody makes 3-way coaxial speakers, so there wouldn't have been any results anyway, but I'm about to be late for work and I think this still gets my point across.)
Certainly a better tailored search capability, by category or topic, is among what I would have in mind. Key words are not enough. Also, I have the feeling that Google has become too dominated by the money element driving top hits. If Apple eliminated the money factor, it could make something better.

What I have in mind probably would be a money loser for Apple, but so is for Google, presumably, a mobile OS for which they charge nothing, ripping off and undermining Apple (from Apple's perspective at least). Part of my suggestion is wanting something new and better for a search engine. Part of this is just thinking of this from a purely competitive perspective, if I were Apple management. I had the feeling that when SJ made that comment about not wanting to develop a search engine, he was saying (with Google's Schmidt still on the Apple Board) 'I'm not going to step on their toes, if they are not stepping on mine'. Google subsequently stepped all over Apple's toes. Maybe Apple should do the same to Google.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.