View Single Post
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-07-09, 12:35

Best way I can describe is talking about each products lineage.

Pro Tools started out as Sound Tools a long time ago. Its basis and forte is audio editing with midi bolted on in latter years.

Logic and Digital Performer both started as excellent midi sequencers that had audio capture and editing functions bolted on later.

Right now Pro Tools is the Gold Standard for audio editing. Engineers love it's interface. DP and Logic aren't far behind but it's obvious they need work here. Apple is rumored to have been working on a new 64bit DAW app that competes with PT but I can't find anything substantial. They rumors state Apple has been working on it before the Emagic purchase. When Tiger 10.4 was announced to have 64 bit processes I instantly thought of this app because had Tiger stayed 32 bit then that rumor would have been debunked.

Could Apple be working on a high end DAW? It's likely they might. Final Cut Pro is great for creating low cost editing stations but what about audio in Post Production? Apple needs an app with better audio editing functions than we currently have in Logic. I could see Apple creating two apps and then eventually converging them over the course of their simultaneous development.

A new DAW from Apple would need to support 64 tracks or move easy. It would need to have OMF import/export, DTS and AC3 encoding and support for easy surround mixing. And a wonderful UI for working with these technologies. As Moogs said...Logic is a beast of an app technically but it's power is obsfucated by a very confusing UI.