View Single Post
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-07-10, 11:46

Yeah I do. I can see Apple coming out with an app at the $1500-2000 dollar range. It would support much better multitrack audio editing and mixing. Surround Sound would be well supported with built in encoders for DTS and AC3(hence the high cost of the app because of license fees). It would be great if the apps directly supported DVD-Audio so you could burn 5.1 24bit/96k files directly to the Superdrive.

Rumors also have it that some sort of hardware interface was supposed to be available as well from Apoggee Digital. Interesting commonality is both Apple and Apoggee are mLAN licensees and with Panther's last update, Apple integrated mLAN right into Core Audio's drivers. This could lead to a relatively small device that allows for AD/DA, mixing and surround sound control(joystick) all linked by FW and running mLAN. Leave out mic pres and let people add in their own and you could have this device for less than $1000 possibly. The device could also support mixing in Final Cut pro as well to increase the potential market.

I don't think the goal for Apple is to compete with PT on the high end but craft a niche for the low to midrange just as they've done with Final Cut Pro. We forget that with Shake Apple also got Tremor the Real Time big brother to Shake and decided not further the project because Apple just doesn't seem to want to compete with companies that sell 50k systems and above(ala high end Avid and Discreet Inferno). So I can see Apple content to keep capable systems below $10-15k but keep as much power as possible. Sounds like a decent strategy to me.