View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-09, 16:04

Funny how this OS thread shifted to backups. I just reconfigured the Time Machine backups in my house. Thing is I only have one external HDD that is the target for all my machines. I finally moved it from the aging Extreme that it was plugged into and now run it through my Synology NAS.

As for redundancy, I think it really depends on what it is. My family photos are all covered by iCloud. This means that if they go down I'll lose almost all of them. Sure some are saved locally, but most are "optimized". Many of my "critical" things are in the NAS that is a RAID with a single disk failure tolerance. If more than one disk dies, I lose what's on there. Mostly it is stuff I don't care about but plenty I want to maintain. I guess you can say I'm rolling the dice.

My professional files are all managed by OneDrive and my O365 account. I don't even make a local copy of those at all. My boss can deal with it if their services dies.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.