View Single Post
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-05-19, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
you know. NYers disagree with you. Americans disagree with you. By overwhelming majority, this is exactly what people want.
I don't care about popular opinion if it's wrong. A popular majority voted for W. A popular majority supported going into Iraq. A popular majority thinks that Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is a display of good design. The majority think wish to believe they live in the 19th century but a more convenient and hygenic one.

Rebuilding the trade towers is pointless. Oh, excuse me, they're not just rebuilding because this time they go to 111! It's a joke. Laughable. Dumb. It's architectural Spinal Tap. Bigger isn't better if bigger is just more of the old ugly, pointless crap that was there before. What' more, even if it were a beautiful design before, you're just ignoring history -- thousands died there. Life changed for me and a lot of other people, and no amount of erasure will really make that go away, and it won't remember and respect the dead like it really should. Sorry if reality isn't something people want to deal with, but this design is an axe to the forehead, which is not the message I think we want to say about ourselves let alone what we want to say to others. Rebuilding the towers says that 1. we really are simply preoccupied with money and material worth more than human life and it really was an appropriate target, and 2. that we can't do anything better, that that we're so ossified and recalcitrant as a people that our monuments and culture are stagnant and devoid of anything new to express beyond what we already had. Did 9/11 not make a difference to anyone? Shouldn't that be expressed? Oh, I forgot, it goes to 111!

It's an ignorant and disrespectful conceit.

That's my opinion, and I don't care if I'm the only person to believes that because I know I'm right.