View Single Post
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-10, 01:30

Hi Trav

I personally have a soft spot for Italy and China, so here are a few brief thoughts.

ITALY
It's history is so rich (more so than ours) and the culture and nature of her people make it a truly beautiful place to visit. Of course, it goes without saying, the food is delicious.

From the 2nd edition Lonely Planet.
Quote:
What is it that makes Italy so seductive? The Italian wirter, Luigi Barzini, had this to say on the question:

It made and still makes unwanted people feel wanted, unimportant people feel important and purposeless people believe that the real way to live intelligently is to have no earnest purpose in life.
Roma - St Peter's, Vatican Museum's (including the Sistine Chapel), Trevi Fountain (be sure to throw in a coin over your shoulder whilst facing away), Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, The Colosseum, The Pantheon, The Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona ... the list goes on and on.
Firenze - Il Duomo, Uffizi Gallerry, Galleria dell'Accademia (see Michelangelo's David), Ponte Vecchio + a day trip to Pisa to see the Leaning Tower.
Siena - Italy's best-preserved medieval town (also see San Gimignano) ... if you are then on July 2 or August 16 you must see the horse race around Il Campo - but be sure to get there four hours before it starts!
Perugia - must try their hot chocolate (you know Bacci chocolates? this is the place)
Bologna - famed for its student population and ragu ... or should I say, Spag Bol?
Napoli - the ruins of Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast
Orvieto - quaint little cliff-top town ... excellent in January when the Winter Jazz Festival is on. :smokey:
Milano - Il Duomo, La Scala, check out new fashions
Venezia - this place is beautiful ... just go and get lost in the laneways!

Here are some links which you might find helpful:
CIA - The World Fact Book: ITALY
Lonely Planet - Italy
Italian tourism

CHINA
Shanghai - the most modern city in China. You won't be disappointed ... check out the view from the JinMao tower
Beijing - Great Wall, Temple Of Heaven, Forbidden City for starters ... of course you should try the Peking Duck too.
Nanjing - the old capital of China, full of historical sites and artefacts - population of 6 billion, in a town the size of Melbourne I believe!
Xian - Teracotta Warriors

Here are some links which you might find helpful:
CIA - The World Fact Book: CHINA
Lonely Planet - China
China Today

Finally - one more plug - before you depart the homeland, be sure to check out my hometown. Melbourne ROCKS! Happy reading.

All I want is a simple life
twitter