View Single Post
Aero Kaizer

2009-07-01, 09:46

Oh, wow. I wasn't expecting such a response overnight xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Welcome to AppleNova, Aero.

I'm moving this thread over to the Speculation and Rumors forum since it's not a subject of current or past products.
Thank you :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
That said, Snow Leopard seems a reasonable name since 10.6 is being marketed as a fine-tuning of 10.5 rather than a whole new beast.

As for future names? Yeah, there are only a few big cats left, but I think the real question is how long Apple will keep with the "Mac OS X" moniker. Another five years? Ten? Apple has done a fantastic job of incrementally rewriting the core technologies of the OS to allow it to evolve without needing a singular wholesale replacement or rewrite, unless there's some top-secret new desktop metaphor hiding in the wings. So, there's probably not going to be a technical reason to change names in the near future. It would probably be a marketing-driven decision.

Well, the Public Beta had a useless Apple icon in the center. Discussions at the time of putting the menu in the center quickly led to the realization that it's a terrible idea. It would collide with the variable number and width of application menus and it would lose the infinite effective width and height of being in the corner (see Fitts' Law).

Where is there any brushed metal left? The only thing I could think of would be some old third-party apps rolled in custom skins.
Alright, I hadn't thought about the Snow Leopard thing. I mean, I knew that Snow Leopard was essentially an extension of Leopard, but I guess I never made the connection xD

As for the Apple menu, yes, I gave it a thought, I eventually knew that wouldn't work with a direct implementation, but maybe if the application menus were just below the menu?

Oh, sorry about the brushed metal thing, I guess I was a bit tired and mistook matte grey for brushed metal xD Still bored with it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Yeah...Apple's gonna have to pack in some really whiz-bang features when they finally make the jump to Mac OS XI. Or not. Maybe it will be a purely marketing-driven change, I dunno. But expectations will be high.

FWIW, I recall Jobs announcing OS X as the Mac platform "for the next fifteen years." That would put OS XI at 2016 or so, about seven years away. Of course, he could have said that merely because Mac OS Classic was approximately fifteen years old at the time.

10.5: 2007
10.6: 2009
10.7: ~2011
10.8: ~2013
10.9: ~2015
11.0: ~2016+

So it fits. And yes, I know that version numbers aren't decimals, and they could go to 10.10 if they wanted to (or go to 11.0 next year). But I don't think they'll want to.

Regarding the OP: Who's to say they'll have to name the OS XI point releases after animals at all? Hell, who's to say that they'll have to publish their codenames at all? Maybe Jobs's successor (!) will decide that naming operating systems after fuzzy animals is unprofessional and they'll just have "Mac OS XI Version 11.1". Or maybe they'll name them after planets, or flowers, or elements, or scientists, or characters from Tintin. Hell if we know.

I agree that naming OS XI point releases after dogs seems to make sense (I would think they would do "big dogs," like wolves and such, just like they do "big cats" now, so no Yorkshire Terrier), but there's really no way we can establish a pattern with just the OS X codenames. Mac OS Classic releases were named after composers. If you asked us back then what they'd name OS X releases after, I don't think any of us would say "big cats!"
Ahah, you've got a point. I can certainly see Mac OS XI being named after big dogs:

Mac OS XI 11.0: Wolf
Mac OS XI 11.1: Fox
Mac OS XI 11.2: Husky

And so on. Although, to be honest, if Apple stopped naming releases, I'd probably get a little bored, to tell the truth. Mac OS XI: 11.1 Just doesn't have the same ring to it as Mac OS XI 11.1: Fox (or whatever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
There is a simple solution to the naming dilemma. There are seven perfectly good dwarf names available. Mac OS XI: Sleepy!
Lol xD I can definitely see a homebrew Mac OS being called that :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Welcome, Aero (interesting name) and let me be the first to say that you either need a summer job, or a hobby if you can't find a summer job. Don't worry: I'm sure Apple will come up with clever ways of naming its OS for years to come, cat-like or otherwise.
Thank you :3 (By the way, I'm not referring to Vista with it, I had this name locked LONG before Microsoft did xD)

I'm a bit of a programmer/hacker as a kind of permanent hobby (nothing serious, more homebrew things than anything.) Although I am looking for a summer job :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
There are dozens of Smurf names, too. We'll be fine! Mac OS XXXVIII: Papa!
Oh, God, yes. You, sir, have won ALL of my internets.

Ending note: Long post is LOOOOOOONNNNGG.