View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-16, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
On a bit of an aside - what exactly do people do on Minecraft? I have raised this half-jokingly, inserting myself in a couple of Minecraft threads. Is it something like a group-play SimCity, except underground?
It's only as underground as you want it to be.

Basically, you collect materials (from mines as well as from trees, animals, beaches, monsters...) and use those materials to build structures and craft new materials. A piece of flint, a stick, and a feather can be crafted into an arrow, for instance. It's very open-ended, and the sky is literally the limit with what you can build — we've got a pyramid, a hockey rink, a UFO, treehouses, a replica of a Zelda dungeon, an airport, and even an Apple Store. It's basically massively multiplayer Lego, only you don't have to buy pieces. Everybody's creations share one persistent world, so there's always one element of everybody trying to surprise and one-up each other, while there's another element of everybody working together to build things that help everyone, like sidewalks and skyways and animal traps. It's pretty low-stress and methodical, if you want it to be...or you can go off exploring into caves, and who knows what you'll find.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong