View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-18, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I've never hoped you were more wrong.
Seriously? It's one color option. Black or white. This isn't going to be, like, the end of Apple as we know it or anything.

Quote:
Offering a white-framed iMac instantly doubles the inventory/manufacturing and opens the door for stock and shortage hassles. It's just unneeded complexity, IMO.
The iMac is currently available with five different CPUs, three different GPUs, six different HDD/SSD combinations, two keyboards, two mice, et cetera. I don't think Apple is terribly concerned about the iMac's current inventory/manufacturing complexity, and if they are, there's plenty of opportunities to simplify the line besides only offering it in one color. If they wanted to, Apple could actually end up with a white iMac option and fewer potential option combinations, if they chose to simplify their options elsewhere.

Also, an all-new iMac design at a breakthrough price would likely necessitate stocking more inventory in their stores anyway.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong