View Single Post
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-04-20, 05:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook View Post
Off-topic (click to toggle):
aside: i really liked the chin on my first-gen iMac G5- it gave me a place to put sticky notes, which I use to organize my life.
Now that you say it, that'd be really handy if I had an iMac for work, my CPU is covered in Post-Its!

Here's my prediction which I think will (...might) happen to the portable Macs line-up within the next two years:

MacBook (Air) 11" / 13" / 15"
No longer known as MacBook Air, just MacBook. 15" model available for those that like a little more screen real-estate but don't want a beefed-up, pricier, thicker, heavier Pro. These little babies are packing a minimum 128GB flash memory across the lineup with 256GB and 512GB available in some models. Ports aren't a problem of course with Thunderblast ready to daisy-chain and USB3 supporting backwards compatibility with USB2. And no-one could complain about speed with Intel's Haswell processors, 4GB RAM and flash memory all standard. No one's really missing their optical drives too much but you can hook one up to your Thunderboat.

MacBook Pro 15" / 17"
A little thinner than now, with built-in flash memory, but still plenty of room for all the things that make a pro's balls go a little tingly - the better processors, discrete graphics, and choice of either an optical drive, a super-high-capacity HDD or moar battery.

2 SKUs for each of the 11" and 13" Airs and 15" Pro, 1 SKU each for the 15" Air and 17" Pro. Total of 8 SKUs, which is 2 less than now (three less 13" models but one extra 15" model).

Meanwhile the desktop line-up will look pretty similar to now but updated.