View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-04-22, 15:24

As much as I'm critical of the AIO, Apple does make it work for the most part. That's why my proposal differs subtly from the mac mini. The mini interfaces quite conventionally: everything plugs into it. In that sense it's a conventional desktop, just a very small one.

The AIO is really a monitor first: that's what you interface with, where you plug everything in, and what keeps the experience clean. So in that vein, while on the one hand I'm arguing for a stronger spec than the mini in my ideal of a headless mac, I'm also arguing for an even more radically stripped down box. No I/O except for TB/power and wireless, not even a built in power supply, or optical. That stuff all goes in the display, just like the iMac you already know. Think of it as the ultimate hot-pluggable brain!

When plugged into an appropriate Apple diaplay, it's completely seamless. In fact, you could hide it in a drawer, under your desk, in another room, toss it in your bag and take it to a friend's house, work, cottage, anywhere you have compatible displays.

On a non mac display, it'd be a bit more of a kludge. Might need a breakout box, power brick, etc... annoying enough that you'll consider getting just the box but probably buy an Apple display too. At 'upgrade' time it'll be so simple, and cheaper than re-buying another AIO, that you do it a bit more often since you've already got a great display on your desk.

Sort of an Apple take on a high end razors and blades market strategy...