View Single Post
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2009-07-08, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Delaying it is an option, but I don't think it gets in the way of the Winter Olympics by any means. I'd prefer moving it if necessary (maybe to the US? A game would have to be in our only large soccer-only stadium in Columbus, so maybe I could go to one!). Moving it to the UK would be the easiest option, however, seeing as the stadiums are already in existence, and can easily handle it.
Hate to say it, but Columbus Crew Stadium is much too small to host a WC event - Ohio Stadium or Cleveland Browns Stadium would be the two Ohio options, if there were any.

If they had to move the 2010 WC, there are two countries that could take it on a moment's notice: England and the US. England hasn't hosted since 1966 and are heavy favorites to win the 2018 WC when it comes to a vote later this year or in 2010. Rumor has it that the US will make a run for 2018 or 2022, and they have to be considered heavy favorites to win that when the time comes, as it will have been over 20 years since they hosted it by then.

Having said that, they won't move the 2010 WC - delay is the only acceptable outcome at this point in time. They've invested too much in infrastructure (even if they aren't done yet), and since 2010 is Africa's first chance to host the WC, FIFA will give (and has given) the South African delegation every opportunity to finish construction and prepare for the madness that will descend on them in mid-2010. There will be headaches throughout the WC involving travel, crowd control, you name it...but it will go on, and it will go on in South Africa.

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor

Last edited by lightning_bug : 2009-07-08 at 22:11.