View Single Post
johnq
Multi-touch PiƱata

2005-04-06, 12:39

Gee, maybe he hasn't pirated Tiger yet... Give him a break, not everyone is using it.

Quote:
I have been a Mac user for 20 years and love Mac OS X, but I absolutely HATE that I have to open a folder every time I want to open a file.
That's just silly. The right side of the Dock is specifically for files and folders, either permanent things you routinely use, or temporary things you want access to.

And with the Sidebar in the Finder, and the Finder toolbar I think you have ample ways of opening files/applications with minimal clicks.

Quote:
Anyone know if Tiger brings back the ability to open files via the Apple menu or a menu extra?
It won't. The Mac is more than any particular implementation. Mac OS 9 is dead. Mac OS X's features are different but no less well thought out. Unlearn your muscle-memory and it will go smoothly, especially in Tiger.

Quote:
I can't believe something so simple has been missing for almost 3 years now.
It hasn't, we've been using myriad methods for matching or exceeding such functionality, via built-in ways or 3rd party ways.

For 3rd party methods, personally, I like LaunchBar, although I have it stripped down now to just open applications. But I could easily add files to the list.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein