View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-07, 05:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauvblanc View Post
But when it gets to a point that you start to see everything unravelling-that the plane is making an emergency landing etc-wouldn't you eventually say something before it went too far? Even if it's just discreetly to a flight attendant to inform the captain? The captain can make a more informed decision either way.
Well, I think it's entirely possible that the passengers as a group *weren't* informed by the crew or pilot of the exact nature of the concern. I doubt if the pilot would make an announcement that "we have reports of the smell of burning" to a planeload of people. Some passengers might panic and make the situation worse. So perhaps the woman never really knew that it was 'her' actions that had started the security concerns.

Quote:
That said, however, I once spent 10 hours on a packed plane sitting directly behind a guy who was farting every couple of minutes and releasing the most noxious odors. Smelled like something had crawled up his ass, died, and was decomposing. I get exposed to some pretty strong smells at work, but this was...ugh...I had to tuck my nose into my shirt to try to minimize exposure. Under those circumstances, I'd have happily lit some matches on the plane.

I hope you will forgive me for laughing at your desperate plight, but I can't help picturing you sitting there with your nose tucked into your clothes. The fact that it was for a full TEN HOURS raises this dilemma into the realm of tragi-comedy, or comi-tragedy, whatever those might mean.