View Single Post
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-08-14, 03:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
(Note: My ranting above about the iCal/Calendar bug aside, I do not, in any way, consider iPhone to be buggy or to need a lot of software attention. The iPhone is, by far, the best piece of technology I've ever owned.)
Man, just as soon as I said the above, I ran into the worst iPhone problem I've had by far. I went to do my nightly sync/charge and the iPhone didn't seem to get seated properly in its dock -- I didn't get the immediate 'beep' like usual -- so I disconnected the iPhone. In jiggling the iPhone to remove it from its dock, however, the connection was made and the sync panel in iTunes popped up, which meant the iPhone had made a split-second connection with iTunes.

I docked the iPhone again and the first thing I noticed was an all-orange Capacity bar in iTunes telling me my iPhone was full. (I knew that wasn't a good sign.) This was soon followed by a dialog box telling me my iPhone could not be synced because not enough space was available.

However, not only did I know my iPhone not full, but I looked in the iPod section and all of my music and videos had been wiped, so I should have had 6-plus GB available.

I tried disconnecting and re-connecting a couple times but no dice. I hated to do it, but I had to click the Restore button. To my surprise, that triggered a 92MB download of the iPhone's software, so restoring the iPhone certainly isn't the quick process I've gone thru a few times with my iPod.

The restore went as advertised -- didn't lose any data or settings -- but it took a LONG time ... probably 90 minutes from start to finish, including re-syncing about 6GB of data. Not the end of the world, and my iPhone does seem a little snappier, but it was obviously an unpleasant surprise, and not what I was planning to do from 3:00 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. this morning.

I stand by my iPhone comments (best device I've owned), but if I have to Restore this thing more than about once per year, I reserve the right to modify my stance. I'm just glad it didn't happen when I was short on time or on the road (or in a place without high-speed internet; that 92MB download to restore was kind of shocking).