View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-05-11, 20:32

Second recent project!

I actually started this one before the Dark Link outfit, but this one didn't have as pressing of a deadline and had to be put on hold for a while.

This other current project is a full-size recreation of the Goddess's Harp. I've never made a prop quite like this before and it posed all sorts of new challenges to me. Things I've made before we're typically boxy or could be deconstructed to a series of boxy shapes (like the Ghostbusters proton pack). This thing is all curves, though!

I started by finding lots of in-game screenshots. I fired up Inkscape and made a pretty good facsimile of the general shape.

I took my template and cut out the main shape from foam core board. I cut a 1/2" wooden dowel for the top neck of the harp. I paused for a day or two trying to think of a way to add depth to the body, and I finally decided to build up from the base board starting with a perpendicular strip of poster board.

I also pondered for a while how to make the strings. I found this great gold cord from the craft store that I decided I would tie to the neck with a cat's paw hitch and sink into holes in the lower base.

Marking the base holes and adding some fins to the structure to give a basic shape:

Cutting the holes and preparing sides to cover the gaps:

The final skeleton:

Again, I paused for a while to consider how the skin would work. I considered poster board, but I figured I'd never be able to calculate the right curved 3D shape from a flat sheet. I considered craft foam, but I faced the same problem even though it would be more flexible and forgiving. Finally I realized papier-mâché would work. I hadn't papier-mâchéd anything since 6th grade some 18 years ago oh god how that makes me feel old.

So, the first layer of papier-mâché went on!

I've since plastered on several more layers to each side, and this evening I decided it was time to move to the next step: smoothing it out. I reached for the gesso and started brushing it on thick.

Once this has dried thoroughly, I'm planning to sand down some of those big bumps and imperfections. I'll slather on another layer of gesso, and repeat until reasonably smooth!

More to come later.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.