View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-02, 13:46

Biggest lessons I've learned so far:

1) If you are lifting and trying to put on muscle, then getting enough protein the "natural" way (by eating lots and lots of kittens and puppies) is really hard without supplements. It's also expensive, hard to find time for, difficult to find belly room for, and then really hard to burn off such that it doesn't land back on your gut. I'm now taking two protein shakes/day. Never thought I'd hear myself say that! But it is way cheaper and easier on the stomach than eating 5 pounds of chicken breast for lunch.

2) Calories are a bear. But you need them, and finding the right balance while avoiding "empty" calories (soda pop and such) is harder than it sounds. I'm constantly looking toward 25% fat, 40% carbs, and 35% protein. Not as easy as it sounds. And that fat number is constantly messing me up. I've been trying to get more nuts into the diet, but 2 cashews have as much fat as the entire dairy section of the grocery store.

3) Vegetables suck! Gotta eat the entire output of a good-sized garden every day just to feel full.

4) I'm becoming a health nerd, and I don't like that. Not at all!

5) If your family isn't on board with you then meal planning becomes another source of contention, which is making me bananas. I don't like seeing food go to waste, and that is having a downward pull on my diet.

Nothing worth doing is easy.

Or something.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)