View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-01, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
feeling perpetually hungry though it tough.
No doubt. It's the hardest thing about it. I've been hungry for almost a year (tough 1st-world hunger, too! ) I figure that once I get through this rough bit, though, I'll be able to "eat" again.

By the way, this weekend I experimented and made protein pancakes for the whole family. We did three batches in three flavors (chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter; I liked vanilla the best), and boy do I like them! Healthy pancakes, who knew!

Here's the recipe for those who want to try:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup protein powder
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 TSP baking soda
1/2 TSP salt

1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1TBSP honey
2 TBSP olive oil

Thoroughly blend dry ingredients. Add milk and egg, mix well. Blend in honey. Add olive oil and mix. Cook on a flat griddle at 350 until golden brown-ish.

This recipe is from a family recipe that my wife and I have worked on for some time. We now substitute 1TBSP honey for 3TBSP sugar; olive oil for "vegetable" oil; and whole wheat flour for white flour. Not only is this more healthy, but they taste way better!

You can substitute different kinds of flour and oil, different kinds of milk, you can remove the salt and/or honey altogether (if you like bland things), and you can increase the honey to sweeten them up a bit (although I find that ruins the flavor).

Keep in mind that burying these things in syrup defeats the purpose, since syrup will contain as many calories as the pancakes, if not more. I'm eating them this week just plain to add some healthy carbs/protein that don't taste like fluff. Also, I have been experimenting with PB2 and PB Fit (peanut powder) and that stuff tastes just like peanut butter, but has a third the calories. I mix mine up and then mix in a little honey. Spread it on a protein pancake and yum-a-dee-yum!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-02-01 at 16:17.