View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-24, 12:56

Well, rumors heat up.

Prosser thinks that the new Mac Pro will be something like 3 or 4 Mac Minis stacked on top of each other. I wonder about this, since the trashcan Mac Pro was a dud. Seems like this would be a backward move (again).

But!

Could it be that Apple is prepping the long awaited headless Mac? Maybe powered by an M1X? Something like a super-charged Mac Mini, while the actual Mac Pro is more like the current thing? Here's my dream-thinking thought:

The new Mac Pro Mini will come in the same footprint as the current Mac Mini. It will sport an M1X processor, 16GB of RAM (32GB optional), 512GB SSD (1TB - 8TB optional), and a bunch of port-thingy's. It will have a big fan and a much higher thermal envelope than the Mac Mini, and be twice as fast. At the same event, Apple will also announce the new 5K TB3 Display. The Mac Pro Mini will retail for $1999, and the display for $999. This system will replace the current iMac Pro in the lineup, leaving the actual Mac Pro as the last system to go ARM, and it will get the M2X Pro chipset sometime next year.

Or something. I don't know.

And fruity iMacs, again?

OK, I can get behind that, but oh the inventory hassle that will be.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)