View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-15, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Except that’s actually not true at all. Higher crop yields are found when you allow multiple tiers of growth crops to occupy the same space as they would in nature.
That still requires human intervention. You will be hard pressed to find many naturally occurring gardens* that produce more than a mouse's share of edible crops.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that food (and sometimes large quantities of a single type of food) doesn't occur in nature. It does. However, if you want a variety (where by variety I mean more than one thing) you are going to have to intervene. And then it is no longer "natural".

I have fresh fruit every year because I intervened and put it there, and then prune and water it. Were it not for that entirely unnatural intervention, it would not exist at all!

And while you can let a peach tree go all "natural" and get a zillion small peaches, you will not get the equivalent yield of high-quality fruit as you will get from an unnaturally pruned and cultivated peach tree. This has been understood for many thousands of years. As it has also been with wheat fields and pretty much any other crop necessary to feed many hundreds or thousands of people.

* A garden in the human sense produces more than one kind of food.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)