View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-16, 10:51

Gotcha.

Well, I still like my invasive lawn.

If you could see what the natural, high desert will do to a backyard in the space of a single season, you'd want grass, too.

By the way, "grass" as lawn is only "invasive" as long as it gets what it wants: sunshine and lots of water. There are some places on Earth where that could be a problem (and has been in my garden, no doubt—in fact, my lawn ate my strawberry patch). However, here in Boise, Idaho the desert will flat out eat a poorly maintained lawn in the space of a single growing season (May-October), and I've seen it happen.

So, "invasive" depends somewhat on the area and the willpower of the human letting it invade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
My point was that industrial farms the way Americans think of them is not the most productive structure.
And that is correct. Large farms are the way they are for the singular purpose of the economics of maintenance and harvesting, a necessary evil when feeding millions of non-farmers is the goal. Far less necessary if each of us had 5 acres and a certain determination* and work ethic. Far more so in city-dominated civilization.

* Don't get all bothered by this, folks. Some people prefer city life, and some people prefer something different. I'm one of those people who would be happy on 5 acres with no property taxes.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-03-16 at 15:02.