View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-05, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
As I was thinking about our government’s errors on this file, and making my case for bolstering domestic production capacity, one of my thoughts was “diplomacy” could be one of the checkmarks in the long term sustainability column. That is, if cost effectiveness was a historical knock against maintaining our domestic capacity, the cost could be offset to some degree by using the capacity to fulfill humanistic and foreign aid commitments in place of dollars. Send medicines not moneys?
Hard to envision right now when Canada is actually taking vaccines from Covax that were supposed to be for the developing world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
This week's conversation has been an eye-opener for me, having assumed that distribution was reaching a level of parity around the globe. Realizing that you are within a very small percentage of our world population gives a person pause.
The genius of the USA's Operation Warp Speed is that it recognized and co-opted the latest business models in manufacturing. Similar to how Apple will pay towards constructing a component plant, in return for the first few years of a plant's production capacity, US taxpayers essentially went into business with the pharma companies, and in return got priority access.

Canada and Europe just ordered product as customers (and Canada didn't even insist on domestic production) and that's why they are currently behind the game.