View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-01-07, 19:05

PB PM, I agree. And, as consumer oriented models these will feature:

1.) at most APSC sized sensors
2.) hybrid video functions
3.) large ratio zoom lenses

So, basically, not the AF digital M I'm hoping that someone will eventually make. Given in 35mm full frame format with a selection of primes covering 24-75/90 I'd get one in a heartbeat., but that's besides the point right now.

I think it would be wise to de-couple sensor size from the mount spec on a future EVF camera mount. This way, it could be built for a range of sensor sizes and lenses covering field, studio, video and cinema functions. Think of a concept not unlike medium format bodies that mount 645 to 6x9 film backs. Not all lenses would have to use the whole frame of every camera, not every camera would use the whole image of every lens. They could be matched as need and circumstance dictate. Not every combination would be "ideal" but there would be ideal combinations for every purpose, and flexibility and growth within the system.

The mount would need sufficient throat diameter for larger frames (at least 36x24, but perhaps even more, like 45x30?) and enough control and electrical/optical coupling for all of the following: AF, VR, focal plane shutters, continuous aperture adjustment, powered zoom. Again, not every lens would use/need them, but they would be there to use just in case. With such a mount, because you're not worried about the intrusion of a reflex mirror, you can make lenses for smaller imagers protrude further into the camera body, and those for larger ones extend further outward. They might all have more girth, but you could rather easily have larger 35mm+ format primes and large ratio 4/3rds/APSC lens body combinations all on the same mount. Completely flexible and future proof.