View Single Post
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2022-07-26, 04:30

Sorry for the delay, I was camping this weekend. Completely offgrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
How do OS upgrades on the Synology normally happen? How would you "factory reset" and reinstall it from scratch? Is there a way to back up its settings, or are you just stuck redoing everything manually like you experienced?

Also, are you able to get a root shell (ssh?) into its system (not your files)? Or are you limited to what you can poke in their GUI?
As mentioned, updates are easy via webpage and never really had a problem with them. Synology is always patching for bugs which is good. They even support the old DSM 6 a bit too.

You can get root access if I recall but have to jump through a hoop or two. I usually just sudo my user and that's usually enough. From what I remember, the OS is sandboxed from the data volume. There is a reset button on the back and you have to press the button in the right sequence to wipe the OS and start from scratch. It boots to a webpage that asks for a DSM image. That process was easy, but the settings took forever. Buuuut yeah, you can download most of the OS settings as a text file I believe. I just didn't before problems popped up

Quote:
This was something I was concerned about too. I see that all Synology products have the CPU soldered to the board, and the "mid range" DS920+ I was just looking at has a Quad-Core 2GHz Celeron J4125. At least I could upgrade the stock 4GB RAM to 8GB. Totally fine for the storage side of NAS, like you said, but I'm surprised it would run well with demanding services like Plex (I assume you're not transcoding anything in HD?) and Minecraft (just a couple LAN players?).
I have a DS218+ with 6GB and a DS1618+ with 8GB ram. While the DS1618 has a faster CPU, it struggles with more than 3 transcodes. (I do watch parties over the web, so they are not HD and limited by my upload speed) Its fun, and good but not the best quality. The DS218 has a slower CPU, but can handle transcoding HD better because it has hardware acceleration. Many cheap-ola Synology models have hardware encoding and Plex can use that.

The DS920+ you mentioned looks like it has hardware encoding support if your apps work with it. In docker, you have to do a little extra wizardry to allow the container access to hardware, but I heard success stories. However, my DS218+ is not powerful enough to handle bigger things like that minecraft server or virtualization.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET