View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-02, 00:27

Several weeks ago I discovered the old British show "Time Team" on Amazon Prime.

A team of archaeologists are given only 3 days to investigate an archeological puzzle, almost always in the UK.

I really didn't have a firm idea about the periods of occupation of Britain prior to this show.

Now, I know that the first 400 years of the first millennia was Roman occupation, and that Saxons came after.

I know that the Neolithic people were better flint knappers than the periods that followed.

The audience's window into the world of the archaeologists is provided by actor Tony Robinson, best known to ME as the actor who played Baldric on Blackadder - but oh golly is he so much better in this show because he's not just a talking head, he's obviously intent on understanding the process in the early seasons and every season that passes he becomes more sophisticated about what's happening - but he always remembers to ask questions that people at home might ask, and they're often "Hey wait a minute, you just said...." so that makes it fun.

One of the main trench diggers is a big tall guy from the Yorkshire area, who has one of those "ooooo arrrrr" type Farrrrmur John kind of accents. He's just terrific. They all are.

I am in season 8 or 9 now, and it's still my favorite thing of the moment.

When I run out of episodes I'll be able to turn to YouTube, where they are posting NEW digs.

Anyway, it's a fun, fascinating, educational program and I highly recommend it.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter