View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-04, 14:36

At 12:28am this morning, after a short bout with pancreatic cancer (and a failed surgery to remove/fix some things related to it; everything just kinda went south last night - complications, internal bleeding, organs not functioning as they should, etc. - around 6:00 or so, and it was a steady spiral down to the end).

He was 86, a World War II vet, a truck driver and probably the nicest, most unassuming and down-to-earth man - no, person - I've ever known. Definitely one of those "they broke the mold" kinda guys (I don't think there are many of them left like him...perfectly content with the smaller, simpler things in life, didn't have to prove his "worth" with any outward possessions, devoid of petty venom, worked hard his entire life, always voted and took it very seriously, told you his opinion/stance on something and the reasons why and never lied or acted like a jerk to anyone).

I spent three hours with him, just this past Saturday, before he went into the hospital, talking about the things we always did - country music, the world, family, his dog, NASCAR racing (he was a Jeff Gordon fan), my life and what was going on in it and the cool war stories I always pulled out of him...he served in Burma, driving supply trucks along dangerous, curvy stretches of mountain roads.

He and my grandmother (who passed three-and-a-half years ago) practically raised me. They're in all my earliest memories, and I spent as much time with them, at their house, as I did with my Mom and Dad at our house! I'm glad I'm from a family of camera junkies, because we've got tons of photos...

So just a weird "hole" there now. Some people you just don't imagine "not being there". He was one.

His name was Howard, and I loved him very much. He knew that, and he passed surrounded by all his children and grandchildren. I just wanted to say a little about him, and share him a bit with folks here. Isn't the same, driving past that house (as I've done twice today), knowing neither of them are there anymore. That'll take some getting used to...

Anyway, this isn't a pull for sympathy or anything like that. I just wanted to "share" the man with people I feel close to in many ways. He was my little "bald-headed buddy"...