View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-18, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
… why isn't the Pencil v2 compatible with this brand new thing?
Apple Pencil 2 uses induction charging. That, by itself, is the separator. I have to assume that, technically speaking, this is not so easy to integrate as it might seem. Doing it right is expensive*. Also, it is a feature separator between the lower priced iPads and the iPad Pro.

Quote:
Why doesn't it have USB-C instead of lightning?
I'm guessing this has to do with logic board design. The new iPad Air is just the old 10.5" iPad Pro with all of its tech, including lightning, Touch ID, etc.

Quote:
I appreciate the headphone jack, don't get me wrong, but again, why?
Because see logic board design above.

Quote:
If that 'old' tech isn't good enough for the newest phones (and 'Pro' iPads) then why is it still included in the newest iPad?
The 2018 iPad Pro logic designs also include Face ID, and that appears to be expensive to include at these price points, especially considering the complete redesign involved.

Quote:
There just seems to be a lot of easy enough to implement things (software-wise as well!) that just aren't.
I think it is misplaced perception that these things are "easy to implement". A headphone jack is way easier to implement because it exists in all of the existing designs. As is lightning, etc. Removing it is far more expensive than keeping it.

Apple is going to retain their margins, and that means waiting for the technology to come down in price before it is implemented in entry designs. Touch Bar and Face ID are the two best examples of that tech. Also, there is the possibility that Apple considered what you are asking, but decided they simply could not keep up with demand if they implemented Face ID into these new devices. It is possible that they cannot produce enough [Face ID cameras] and still be able to meet demand for iPhone X, iPad Pro, and a host of new iPads.

Quote:
edit: [ aha. you added snark in afterwards... ]
I was editing as I went along.

* Yes, I know Samsung added induction chargers to their new phones (all expensive). Time will tell if this works out.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-03-18 at 18:40.