View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-12, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I feel like I've skipped over a few of the steps... this was originally my dissertation (ie, I have 400 pages to pull material from, so a lot of it is already written in better than rough draft form), I got introduced to an editor at A-W through a colleague, and in one week I've gone from "oh hey, I should do this" to having a call with said editor in the morning to discuss next steps. That was my cue to find out what the hell I was getting into. (Especially since he also mentioned a video series?!? WTF??)
Good luck!

Editors are very busy people. Any book you read on publishing (usually written by editors) will spend about a chapter emphasizing how busy editors are. But you're the author, you wrote the damn thing, and you should feel "in the loop" and okay with how things are going. Don't feel shy about asking questions, expressing concerns, &c., especially when you're already on the phone. Any book on publishing (hint, hint) will give you a nice little set of questions to ask.

But the best part of getting an agent is that you have an agent to bug the editor about all the things that are bothering you, while you get to sit quietly and smile and make the editor Totally Like You (which is important - publishing is, like all businesses, a People Business).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong