View Single Post
Yochanan

2005-12-07, 06:33

Dear Diary,

Perhaps this mucks up my situation a bit. I started with a 62MB .tif scan, and it (the scanner) created it in the RGB color space. I imported the RGB file into PSCS, and commenced to create a copy and close the original .tif file. I cleaned the copy file of all dust, scratches, and fibers/hair. At that point I had one clean, RGB, .tif file. I have to convert this to CMYK to send to the printers. I create a copy of the clean, RGB, .tif file and convert the copy to CMYK. A little bit of the color info lost to gamut limitations, but not too bad.

At this point I wish to start my adjustments for shadow/highlight, black/white/grey points, and then use the channel mixer for anything else that might come to mind. The important file is the CMYK one. I find it much easier to adjust my RGB file to resemble my master print, but I'd like the CMYK file to match it or come damn close.

From Ebby's input I gather that I can save my curve adjustments, and then port those adjustments to the other file. He doesn't think that there are any color space differences to worry about, but 709 disagrees. 709 says that adjustments to one file in a specific color space cannot be simply ported over to another file in another color space, without giving different results.

Though I'm inclined to go with 709 on this, (as Ebby by his own admission never actually uses CMYK) I'm still in a spot as my important adjustments are to my CMYK file, and his advice seems to be designed to produce a fine RGB file. My starting point is my clean, RGB, .tif file and from that I must produce a good CMYK one. I only concern myself with the RGB file as it's easier to adjust the colors to my liking. Knowing I have a fine RGB color adjusted file, I imagined being able to lift the settings that make it a fine RGB color adjusted file and stamp them onto a CMYK file.

I'm starting to think this might not be possible to get exactly right. Does this mean I'll have to adjust by eye?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.