View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-06-12, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Hey Ryan, that around the world set of trips sounds really amazing! I wish I had the courage to do something like that! New Zealand and Japan sounds amazing both. Also, glad you're getting treatment for your anxiety; I've just gotten mine addressed with a great therapist who combines talk, techniques, and helping me with meds when I need it.
I lucked into an excellent therapist. His focus is short-term intensive treatment. Most of his program comes down to 1) big doses of fish oil every day (5g+) 2) teaching you how to counter irrational thoughts. Breathing exercises, meditation, etc. He's the kind of therapist who gives you *homework* and expects you to complete it. I've been to others that inevitably devolve into personal storytime—with this guy, if you just start rambling on about your week he cuts you off and refocuses back to the actual problem you're trying to solve. My appointments were often *exhausting* but incredibly productive. He used to run the largest biofeedback lab in the state and he brings a lot of that experience into his practice. Early on he gave me a little thermometer to measure temperature increases in your palm, which correlate to increased stress responses. He highly encourages purchasing biofeedback devices to measure your stress responses in order to learn how to combat them yourself. I went from literally collapsing on the floor from anxiety to keeping it under control within just a few months.

I highly recommend either Tokyo or New Zealand. NZ especially is such a welcoming destination. Head to Wellington and grab a drink at the Rogue and Vagabond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Ryan Mate... what a journey! That credit cards points thing is crazy impressive! If you ever make it to NZ, or that neighboruning continent downunder, let me know - I’d love to extend some hospitality and show you around my hometown.

Congrats on finding good support for your anxiety and also on rebuilding the relationship with your brother. Good luck with the dating too mate!
I'm sorry I didn't reach out! I hit up Sydney in 2016. I'm honestly desperate to get back to New Zealand. Last year I had three weeks and hit up Auckland, Waiheke, Nelson, Abel, Tasman, Marlborough Sound, Wellington, Queenstown and the Routeburn Track. Bummed I skipped over Wanaka and I want to explore the Golden Bays region a bit more.

I'm still under 30 which means I qualify for the working holiday visa and I am *seriously* tempted to just go bartend or whatever in Wanaka or Wellington for a year. Once I finish paying off these student loans and get some money socked away that's my plan. I'm hoping to bank a stash of cash and then travel for a while. Spend some time in New Zealand, explore Tokyo for a month or two, maybe traverse the old Silk Road, spend some time in a Spanish-language school in Seville. Or maybe just bum around Thailand for bit. Getting kinda tired of the software game anyways.

Last edited by Ryan : 2018-06-12 at 23:27.