View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-21, 15:04

I have long championed the idea of simplifying the product lineup to suggest there are "consumer" devices and "pro" devices. The waters get muddy definition wise (I know consumers who use their computers harder than some pros, and vice versa). But the lineup is getting weird with all these [non]descriptive product names. I made a list somewhere in the forums of the product line I wanted to see, but I can't find it. It looked a bit like this:

Mac
Mac Pro

iMac
iMac Pro

MacBook
MacBook Pro

iPad
iPad Pro

iPhone
iPhone Pro

It's simple and denotes what the customer needs to know. Instead, we have this mess:

Mac Mini
Mac Pro

iMac
iMac Retina
iMac Pro

13" MacBook Air
13" MacBook Pro
13" Other MacBook Pro
16" MacBook Pro

iPad Mini
iPad
iPad Air
iPad Pro

iPhone 8
iPhone 11
iPhone 11 Pro

Where the descriptor "Air" is used, there is another, close by product similar in size, specs, price, etc., sometimes at the end of the lineup, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes, but in neither case is it the "latest tech" or anything like that. It's just … weird. And it needs to be simplified. I know this as fact, since I deal with confused customers on a daily basis, and getting those two "Air" things to make sense to them is just plain hard. On the laptop side, it's trying to make sense of that $1299 MacBook Pro, and on the iPad side it's trying to make sense of that $499 iPad Air.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)